Friday, June 15, 2012

brother baseball 1-2 combination

Jackson got some good pitching tips from his cousin, Brendan, who pitches in the little league majors, so the other evening after work he asked me to play catch so he could show me some, try them out, and practice some throws. Rylee joined us and we threw the ball "around the horn." Ry then geared up in his catcher's pads & helmet, got into the squat, and began catching Jack's pitches, while I quietly bowed out, watering the garden and sitting on the bench to watch them play.

Jackson pitched some (four-seam) fastballs, a change up, I think, and a knuckleball. He'd tell Rylee what he was pitching and get his grip. As he pitched, I'd say, "stance, balance, power," thinking, with almost no pitching experience of my own, that it made sense to break it down that way. Ry would catch the ball, and when it was right down the middle, shout, "NIIIICE!"

I just watched them play catch. They say that's all that pitching is. One brother, pitching; the other, catching. I imagined how it would be if they ever got on the same team together and could use that combination in a game. What a treat to see that.

No comments: