Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The kind of boy he is.

The boys and I dropped off Cyndi at the gym for work at the child care. We went to Big 5 to get Ry some soccer cleats and shinguards. They offered several combo deals that included both, along with a soccer ball. Jackson found his cleats and shinguards from last year, and he brought his ball. We stopped off at Trader Joe's for a smoothie.

We found the park where the boys had soccer practice. Thankfully, on Mondays they go at the same time to the same park. That won't work out for the rest of the week. They both practiced with their teams, and afterward they swung and played tag together with some other kids on the playground. We went home and ate macaroni and cheese.

When we left to pick up Cyndi, the car was backing up funny. After I backed up, I saw that I had run over Ry's new soccer ball. I retrieved the ball, and I got mad at Ry for leaving it there. He said, I couldn't get it, and I tossed it in the back. It did not seem to have popped. As I drove, I waited a bit and then fumed so he would get the message that he needed to take more responsibility for his things: a pick after yourself speech. Jackson tried to interrupt, and I told him to wait until I was done. Then I said, okay, Jack, what did you want to say?

He said I shouldn't blame Ry. He said he was getting something out of the car when we were home, and the ball rolled out of the car. It wasn't Ry's fault.

I paused a minute. I said, Jackson, I admire you for saying that. First, because you told the truth. Second, because you were protecting your brother. Third, because you saw how unfair it was for Ry to take the blame. Rylee asked what admire meant. I said I was proud of Jackson. Jackson said he should be punished and even offered to use his money to buy another one. I said it was never about punishment but learning a lesson. Ry then said he didn't know about the ball.

I told the story to Cyndi when we picked her up. Jackson did his homework when we got home, and he seemed to be wiser. I'm not sure what lessons were learned, but I am very proud of my children.

No comments: